We are living in extraordinary times. Clearly, it is important to know about things that can keep us safe. But what is being splashed in front of us at a rapid rate is repeatedly fearful information aimed at keeping us on edge. Do you think it’s time to boldly create a revolution based on love and not fear? I do.
I recall the drills we had in the 1950s when we tucked ourselves underneath our little first grade desks to practice saving ourselves in case we were attacked by the Soviet Union. I don’t want to duck my head anymore. I want to look out more with a vision of peace, a sharing of our abundance, and a mindful caring for our fellow human beings, whether they live in the United States or some other place on this globe.
I want the children to walk upon this planet with light and love-filled steps and a trust in the adults who are guiding their way. I want our children to make safe, healthy, and loving choices.
During the 1990s, I was the Director of Health Promotion at the University of Virginia. “Make your choices based on love, not fear” was the Elisabeth Kübler-Ross quote we selected to be printed on the back of the condom packs provided during our Peer Health Education workshops. Yes, stop and think about it. We wanted students making safer choices because they had a respect and love for themselves (what a concept!) more than they feared unwanted pregnancy or sexually transmitted infection.
Today, I would like to see this quote boldly printed on the nightly news, at our banks, in our work settings, in our cars, in our grocery stores, and all over social media.
We can speak and think from a place of fear or from a place of love.
“Make your choices based on love, not fear.” We have the choice to shower our world with love or react with fear. I’m choosing love. How about you?
Here are my suggestions for how to choose love over fear. Feel free to add to the list.
11 Ways to Choose Love over Fear
- Notice when worry or fear creeps into your thinking. Observe the fear, release it as you exhale, and then breathe in love instead. Repeat if necessary.
- Pray, meditate, chant, or sing.
- Observe and give gratitude when sacred peace envelops you.
- When fear invades your thinking, move your body. Walk, run, swim, dance, bike, do Nia, yoga or other physical activities that create endorphins from your body’s inner pharmacy. If you move through your day in a wheelchair, take time to get outside and connect your wheels to the earth and breathe in love.
- Observe your tendency to judge others and gradually lose interest in doing so.
- Be the place where love shows up.
- Notice your surroundings and the people in it with appreciation. This may result in being more accepting of people who don’t think, look, or act like you.
- Choose to no longer view the “other” as “other.”
- If you watch or read the news, use it to support your prayer practice. And then spread good news whenever you can.
- Forgive someone. Feel free to put yourself at the top of your list.
- Choose love.
In what ways to choose love over fear? Please feel free to leave a comment here or come on over to my Susan Tate Community Facebook page.
Posted July 19, 2016
©2000 – 2018 Susan Tate